Today, more than 80% of men and more than 25% of women suffer from genetic hair loss. The number of people affected by hair loss is increasing from generation to generation, and the search for treatment continues at the same rate. The most effective and increasingly popular treatment for hair loss is hair transplant. In this article we shared as HWT Clinic, you will find hair transplant statistics both in the world and in Turkey in 2022, as well as facts about hair loss and its treatments, some myths and answers to some questions.
• Losing 50 to 100 hairs per day is considered normal.
• Hair loss is both a genetic and epigenetic issue.
• The vast majority of hair loss in men, 95%, is caused by androgenetic alopecia.
• 35 million men and 21 million women worldwide suffer from alopecia or hair loss. More than 650,000 of them have hair transplantation as the most effective treatment option annually.
• Approximately 50% of women realize that their hair starts to fall out when they reach the age of 50.
• It shows that 29% of women experiencing hair loss report two main symptoms of depression.
• On average, hair grows between 0.2 and 0.7 inches per month.
• Generally, the first hair loss starts to appear when the age of 15 or 16 is reached.
• Hair loss due to ponytail is not a myth, it can affect hair loss.
• It has been observed that approximately 65% of patients undergoing chemotherapy experience hair loss.
Today's most popular hair transplant method is known as the follicular unit extraction (FUE) method. In this method, a thin, hollow needle is used to extract hair grafts from the donor area in natural groups of one to four follicular units. This minimally invasive technique leaves small white scars around the donor area that are unnoticeable even on shorter hairstyles.
Another common method among hair transplantation methods is follicular unit transplantation (FUT). This method is slightly more invasive than the FUE method. The FUT method involves removing a strip of skin from the donor area at the back of the head. The thick, dense hair-filled strip of skin is separated into individual follicular units for implantation.
The best method for hair transplantation; It varies depending on the degree of hair loss, the age of the patient and the surgeon. The best method for each patient therefore also varies. Every hair surgeon has a preferred method. Many hair surgeons know only the FUE method, and few know both FUE and FUT methods. In addition, it is compulsory to choose some hair transplantation methods for some hair types.
• Looking at the general statistics, FUE is used in 66.2% of hair transplant procedures, FUT is used in 31.5% and both procedures are used in 2.35%.
• According to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (2022), 87.3% of the patients who underwent hair transplantation are male.
• One out of every 13 men undergoes a hair transplant.
• Men are 5.3 times more likely to seek treatment than women.
• You can only be your hair donor in hair transplantation.
• The average cost of a Hair Transplant in Turkey is $$3,500 to $7,500.
• Hair transplant operations have increased by 60% since 2014.
• 37% of people who experience hair loss have hair transplantation due to relationships and social life, 34% for career, 14% without any reason.
The experience of doctors and clinics is equal to the number of patients. A country can have very well-known and high-class surgeons and clinics. However, if this country does not receive enough medical tourists for hair transplant surgeries, the experience may begin to decline. In addition, another point you should pay attention to is whether hair transplant operations are performed by dermatologists, plastic surgeons or doctors with medical aesthetic medicine certificate in the selected country.
The number of plastic surgeons in the country, the number of members of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) in the country, and the number of hospitals accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) in the country can help you decide in which country you can safely have a hair transplant.
If you have determined the country, it is time to ask how to find the best hair transplant clinic. Now we all start by Google to find the best hair transplant clinics and surgeons in X countries. Like the best hair transplant clinics in Turkey, the best hair transplant surgeon in Turkey... The first thing you see in Google results is advertisements. Then there are clinics and hospitals that stand out with their websites. In both cases, you can review the details such as Google comments of the clinic and doctor you are interested in, comments on different rating sites, news about them, blog posts. You can also look at their website design, content and social media posts to understand what they offer on their official website, their testimonials, before and after results, and the care they put into their work. Local blogs, suggestions and reviews from websites can also be objective. Then it's time to get a free consultation.
In the past years, the COVID-19 pandemic has adversely affected the hair restoration business, as non-emergency surgical procedures are not preferred. Various administrative agencies around the world have advised surgeons to avoid any non-urgent surgical procedure due to the high risk of infection. Still, the hair transplant market seems suitable for rapid growth.
The main factors driving the growth of the hair transplant market are the increasing popularity of hair transplant and the increasing prevalence of various dermatological disorders that lead to hair loss. According to published reports, more than 35 million men and 21 million women worldwide experience alopecia or hair loss. More than 650,000 of them have hair transplantation as the most effective treatment option annually. It is estimated that 735,000 hair restoration procedures were performed worldwide in 2019. This number represented an overall increase of 16% compared to 2016. Data showed that a large number of people worldwide prefer hair transplant procedures, resulting in the growth of the hair transplant market.
In addition, technological developments in hair transplant devices increase the success rate of hair transplant surgeries and increase the demand for these procedures. Unlike many other countries, Turkey is widely accepted as the 'World Hair Transplantation Capital'. Increasing inflation in the world, increasing experience of clinics in Turkey and improving their technologies show that Turkey will maintain its assertive position in the hair transplant market in the upcoming period. In addition to the affordable cost of hair transplantation compared to its competitors all over the world, Turkey's very successful operations in the field of medical tourism strengthen its position in this market.
The absence of visa and waiting queues, the preparation of comprehensive and inclusive packages, and the fact that the country is a tourism region also contribute to this process.